So many people are uneducated on the termÂ organic. To associate the wordÂ grossÂ withÂ organicÂ makes absolutely NO sense.
OrganicÂ foods are foods that are produced using methods that don’t involve modern synthetic inputs such as pesticides, chemical fertilizers, and do not contain genetically modified organisms, and are not processed using irradiation, industrial solvents, or chemical food additives.
That might seem a little difficult to understand so in layman’s termsÂ organicÂ is how your grandparents and great grandparentsÂ did it. All natural.
A few reasons to goÂ organic…
1. Â It just tastesÂ better.
2. Â NoÂ pesticides.
3. Â Organic foods can beÂ richerÂ in vitamins, minerals, and essential fatty acids not found in non-organic foods.
4. Â Our bodies recognize food in pure form and can better digest organic foods.
5. Â It’s better for theÂ environment.Â Intensive farming methods erode soil, destroy ancient hedgerows, and decimate wild life. Organic farms look after the environment.
6. Â The Environmental Protection Agency notes that 90 percent of fungicides, 60 percent of herbicides and 30 percent of insecticides are carcinogenic, or known toÂ cause cancer. EatingÂ organicÂ eliminates all those carcinogens.
7. Â NinetyÂ percent of non-organic U.S. beef contains up toÂ sixÂ distinct growth hormones, all of which have beenÂ bannedÂ in the European Union due to health concerns.Â OrganicÂ meat and other animal products do not contain growth hormones or antibiotics.
8. Â Animal products certified asÂ organicÂ must come from livestock that has had access to the outdoors, has not been treated with hormones or antibiotics and has been reared on organic feed.
9. Â ItÂ canÂ beÂ cheaper, just grow your own!
10. Â For the sole reason of eating food in its most pure form. Fresh, in season, andÂ organic.
Now I’m not saying organic is theÂ onlyÂ way because it’s not. There’s no need in buying organic produce with thick skins unless you plan on using the zest of the skin, in that case buy organic, but if you’re just eating a banana go ahead and buy it conventionally. And please do NOT buy organic water. Water is always organic. To wrap it all up here’s a list of theÂ dirty dozenÂ foods you should buy organic if anything.
1. Â Celery
2. Â Peaches
3. Â Strawberries
4. Â Apples
5. Â Nectarines
6. Â Sweet Bell Peppers
7. Â Spinach, Kale, and Collard Greens
8. Â Cherries
9. Â Potatoes
10. Â Imported Grapes
11. Â Domestic Beer
12. Â Lettuce